IN THIS ISSUE
IT’S SAFE TO SAY
A message from our leader
Jody Wacowich, Executive Director of AgSafe Alberta
Where did the summer go? I imagine starting harvest in August and dry pastures certainly shortened everyone’s summer. With the days rapidly getting shorter as we approach fall, it is a great time to get some reflective clothing or arm bands to help keep everyone visible on the farm as we work into the darker hours.
As a runner in a rural area, no matter what time of day it is I make sure I have something reflective on as I run on the highway. This makes me more visible, especially with distracted drivers. Anything that I can do to catch a motorist’s eye, so I do not get hurt. It occurred to me as I was leading a recent 4-H event, that myself and many of you make sure that when we play our sports or do activities with kids, we follow the rules and wear the safety equipment. We all have the skills to be safe, so now is a great time to use those skills to be safe on the farm as well. Take the time this fall to ensure everyone on the farm has the right equipment and knowledge to complete tasks safely.
This month’s letter is A for animal handling and a great opportunity to think about training for working with animals on the farm. It takes time and experience to learn how to read an animal’s behaviour, and it becomes important to share some of this knowledge with others on the farm who have less experience. While many will say it is just “common sense” it is common knowledge that we want to achieve with our farm team (this includes workers and children).
Check out the rest of the information in this month’s newsletter and stay safe.
Lastly if you have questions or concerns, we are always here to help you out. You can contact our team anytime via:
– For general inquiries: email@example.com | 403-219-7901
– For our hotline for incidence assistance: 1-833-9AGSAFE
AgSafe Executive Director
Don’t let that pretty face and those long legs get your guard down, 68% of animal related fatalities in agriculture involved horses!
Findings from the Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research using data from 1990 through to 2009 found that 68% of the animal related fatalities in agriculture involved horses (horses/stallions/colts classification) and the remaining 32% involved cows (cows/steers/calves classification).
Better for the Both of You
AgSafe Alberta recognizes you care about your animals. Most farmers put more time into calculating the nutritional needs of their livestock based on age, stage of life (i.e., lactating, weaning), and other factors than they have ever thought about for themselves. For this reason, rather than just focusing on your safety, we are going to look at a few points that will make working your animals safer for the both of you.
- Non-slip flooring in holding and handling facilities keeps everyone on their feet. Grooved patterns in concrete floors are better than rough broom finishes as this will be worn smooth over time.
- Gates, fences, and chutes should be checked for any sharp edges, weaknesses, and damage. A worker or animal who gets cut by a protruding nail on a board will not be happy or calm… they will be thinking about protecting the injury. A gate that cannot close when you need it to can have severe consequences.
- Calm animals are safer animals. It does not take long for an animal to become excited and at least 20 to 30 minutes for it to calm back down. While every effort to keep animals quiet while being worked should be made, we can recognize things do not always go as intended. If necessary, take an early lunch break so that both two and four legged parties get a chance to destress and calm down. Trying to push through it can be dangerous, ineffective and frustrating.